SMS is now the world’s most intensively used data communication technology. One source claims that over 6 trillion texts were sent in 2010, for example, and that was more than triple the number sent in 2007.
- Visualizing English Word Origins
Nerdy stuff about languages? Count me in!
- Terrorist Plots, Hatched by the F.B.I.
Kudos to the NYT to publish this.
- S Korea ‘to target powdered human flesh capsules’
Capsules made from dead babies and foetuses are smuggled from China into South Korea, where they are believed to cure diseases.
- Now 4 billion people know the joy of txt
The humble text message celebrated its 20th birthday.
- “Subversive” newspaper crossword stirs Venezuela
Sounds like a plot from a spy movie.
- Everything You Need to Know About Breasts
Nothing dirty about this article, breast are a topic of scientific research too.
- How Wall Street Killed Financial Reform
Very good article by the Rolling Stone on how Wall Street undermines financial reforms. Also see It’s Just Kids Playing With Dynamite.
- U.S. Military Taught Officers: Use ‘Hiroshima’ Tactics for ‘Total War’ on Islam
Do we really still need religious wars in the 21st century?
- Vang Vieng, Laos: the world’s most unlikely party town
When I was there a couple of years ago, it was still easily possible to escape the party crowd, I wonder if that’s still the case. There’s actually some amazing nature in the area, which is really worth exploring.
- A dark corner of America
An intense report about the lives of drug addicts in Philadelphia.
[M]odern investment bankers are ethically a notch below your average drug dealer. They will extract from their customer – a town, an airline, a chain of retail stores – whatever they think he’ll pay.