- Which is the world’s biggest employer?
If you are too lazy to read the article, it’s the US Department of Defense.
- Mexican Drug Cartels and Cyberspace: Opportunity and Threat
Very interesting piece on the role of the Internet in the Mexican drug wars.
- The Mighty Mathematician You’ve Never Heard Of
…was of course a woman. Why not change that and read about Amalie Noether?
- All the difference in the world
Why do some countries get rich, while others stay poor? According to two scientists, the openness of their political systems plays a huge part in that.
- Is It Snowing Microbes On Enceladus?
There might be a habitable (by microbes) zone on this Saturn moon.
- Hot, crowded, and running out of fuel: Earth of 2050 a scary place
This OECD study doesn’t paint a rosy picture of the future.
- How Homeland Security Is Hiding the Feds’ Role in Occupy Crackdown
How the DHS deals with the Occupy movement. While I’m not from the US or involved with the movement, I still find this rather scary.
- Patents Threaten To Silence A Little Girl, Literally
The patent system at work again…
- A Woman’s Story
How a young black woman in 1950s Canada fought to be a computer programmer.
- Proving you’re gay to the Turkish army
If you are gay, you don’t have to serve in the Turkish army. But proving that you are may be a humilating experience.